1. Banquo says: Thou hast it now—King, Cawdor, Glamis, all/ As the weird women promised, and I fear/ Thou played’st most foully, for’t.
· Literal Interpretation: Shows why Macbeth fears Banquo and wants him dead.
· Symbolic/Thematic Interpretation:Fear
2. Macbeth says: They hailed him father to a line of kings./ Upon my head they placed a fruitless crown/ And put a barren scepter in my grip.
· Literal Interpretation: Two aware that the witches' prophesy suggests a conflict over power including banquo's heirs.
· Symbolic/Thematic Interpretation:Witches
3. Lady Macbeth says: Naught’s had, all’s spent,/ Where our desire is got without content./ ‘Tis safer to be that which we destroy/ Than by destruction dwell in doubtful joy.
· Literal Interpretation: If you get what your want and you're still not happy. you've spent everything and gained nothing.
· Symbolic/Thematic Interpretation:No Fear
4. Macbeth says: Better be with thee,/ Whom we, to gain our peace, have sent peace,/ Than on the torture of the mind to lie/ In restless ecstasy.
· Literal Interpretation: Try's to convince her husband that "what's done, is done"
· Symbolic/Thematic Interpretation:Life's fitpul fever
5. Macbeth says: I am in blood/ Stepped so far that, should I wade no more,/ Returning were as tedious as go o’er.
· Literal Interpretation: Realizing that after he has committed murder, there is no going back
· Symbolic/Thematic Interpretation: I am in blood stepp'd in so far
No comments:
Post a Comment